Monday, August 2, 2010

Apple Pie? Such Filth!

I don't really have too much of a sweet tooth. I mean, I'll eat all that stuff, and every once in a while I get a legit craving for some kind of ice cream dealy, but for the most part the foods I enjoy the most are of the salty variety. All the same, the coming dietary shift could result in a change of preferences in that regard. And even if it doesn't, well...can't be too careful. As far as prepared foods go, options are going to be pretty damn few, so the more I know the better.


Which brings us to Vegan Treats, a vegan bakery founded by Danielle Konya and located in my hometown of sunny Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.





I'd heard of this place before, opening a few years ago, and like most of the rest of my flesh-rending brethren and sistren I thought the mere idea of baked goods sans eggs or dairy was about the most futile, to say nothing of potentially unappetizing, culinary endeavor I'd ever heard of.


It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I was home visiting, and on my way out of town I picked up my comrade Destro (from the old Terrordrome days, and I just might post there again) and we gave the place a rip. I had this apple crumble cheesecake, and I am not kidding when I say that it easily put to shame any dairy-and-poultry-derived dessert I'd ever had.


It's the reason why such a small operation delivers its products weekly to huge cities along I-95 including New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, DC. Ms. (possibly Mrs? Wouldn't be surprised) Konya's vegan creations have been specifically requested by such global luminaries as Alicia Silverstone, Darryl Hannah, Gwyneth Paltrow, Joan Jett, Rory Freedman, and Dennis Kucinich. Them's some tall cotton, brother. Or at least some skinny cotton.


Apparently people are known to plan their lives around the delivery of Vegan Treats' donuts...I wonder if Bryce Remsburg is now one such person. In any case, I'll be back home in a couple weeks, and I'll probably pick up a few. And rest assured, I will tell you all more about those vegan donuts. Also, Czech out this sweet merch. That is badass. If I don't get one for my birthday I'll have one very shortly afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment