Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Since You Asked...

Couple weekends ago I trotted up to Bethlehem, PA to visit some old friends, enjoy Musikfest, and finally rip into what might be Vegan Treats' flagship offering:



These were the two plainest of the selection (lots of sprinkles and frosting that I left for another time). I ate the glazed donut first. It was delicious, of course, and the only difference I could note between it and its non-vegan cousins was that there was a faintly discernable bread-like resilience. Nothing drastic, just a little chewier. Which is fine by me.

Then I had the chocolate one, which was so rich I almost had trouble finishing it (and I hadn't eaten anything all day). Good lord, it was like an entire cake somehow packed into the skin of a donut. Maybe it's the result of some secret high-tech vegan device, along the lines of the tofu press. That donut seriously threw my allegiances in doubt in the whole chocolate-vanilla debate. It's probably for the best; on the basis of my vanilla preference, my mother believes the nurse switched the bassinets and I am not her biological son. Going chocolate might give me a shot at getting the Steinway in her will. Uh oh, I hope those keys aren't real ivory.


BOTTOM LINE, those vegan donuts were definitely among the best donuts I've ever eaten. I don't think I'm quite ready to say they are the best, not after just two and without having recently tasted any competition. But especially the limited scope of the vegan diet, it only takes the imagination of this ignorant brash omnivore to decide that treats like these are far and away the best-tasting things a vegan can eat. Hopefully I'll be changing my tune before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment