Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The OTHER Steelers' 4-game Suspension

As I gradually wrap my brain around what October is going to involve, little alarming truths come to the forefront. In this case, the 2010 NFL season (if there is one).


For several years it has been my habit to go watch the Steelers at sports bars whenever possible. Fortunately, it turns out that several (if not all) forms of alcohol are vegan, including all Miller beers and Jim Beam, which is all I really need to make it through. Also, while I rarely enjoy eating wings and meat sandwiches more than I do on game days, I think I can get by on chips & salsa and eggplant or whatever. But it's not even the foregoing of pub food that gets to me.






NO HEATH MILLERS! DAMN YOU, DAIRY MORATORIUM!


See, a Heath Miller (so named for the starting Steelers tight end, #83) is when you take a Heath Bar and use it to garnish a pint or pitcher of Miller beer. Drink the beer, eat the beer-soaked candy. It's better than you probably think.


Superstitious food and drink are important to all the sports teams I follow. Ask them and they will tell you. Especially the Pwnguins. 60% of the time, it works every time.


I am not quite as distraught about this sacrifice as I would have been in recent years or, hopefully, future years, because of the "blah" state the Steelers are in. They aren't terrible: Wallace, Ward, Mendenhall and Miller are a better-than-average platoon of skill players, the defense will remain monstrous despite an aging line, the Pouncey drafting finally began to address the O-line issues...but despite all this, even without the Roethlisberger suspension, I get the feeling that there's going to be one more mediocre year before another really strong run.


So I guess if I have to take the break, better to do it now.

1 comment:

  1. Your Heath Miller will crumble beneath my Asante Samuel.

    ReplyDelete