Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A National Treasure...Nay, an INTERnational Treasure!

Sunday I attended Chikarasaurus Rex: King of Show. Big, big day.


I unfortunately was a late scratch for the first annual CHIKARA Rocky Run up the Philadelphia Art Museum steps. I had taken a number of head bumps the previous evening and wasn't feeling so hot, in stark contrast to the temperature outside, which was about 5000 degrees Rankine and humid enough to swim through. I was positive that adopting a pace quicker than walking would end in disaster. Which was a shame, because from the pictures it looked like quite a fun time:




(Image from chikarapro.com)


But I took a bunch of tried and true home remedies, and was in fighting shape by about 1:30, when Zandar and I rolled out towards Souf Philly. Clearly I underestimated the dedication of other CHIKARA fans because when we got to the ECW Arena at 2, there were about 40-50 people already there, hanging out in front of the closed gates. As was befitting custom from the old ECW and new ROH, we'd brought along a couple of adult beverages to enjoy while we waited. While nobody actually said anything, there were looks thrown our way, and when folks started wheeling in water and, yes, juice boxes, it became clear that the stark differences between CHIKARA and other promotions do not end at the ring ropes. Oh, and in the parking lot, tailgating activities included such things as 6-person Clue played on the hood of a car. A different breed, these fans.


I got in with the rest of the Chikarmy and shoulder-blocked my way to the merch tables, and scored a healthy pile of UMB stuff...including, of course, THE MASK! White on black, and despite my huge frickin skull it fits fine, although there'll be a good bit of exposed head in the back. No worries. So, phase 1 complete!


I understood that the wrestlers often ran their own merch sales so I half-expected to get to buy things from UltraMantis Black directly, but he had delegated to a subordinate prior to the show. At intermission, however, the man(tis) himself appeared to pose for photos and sign autographs, and as he had warned, he was not alone!





So I got to shake hands, get a number of glared/blurry iPhone photos with him, and shower him with superlatives, which he accepted modestly yet majestically. Amidst my gushing I completely forgot to ask how poor Crossbones is doing. Speaking of, I wonder who his new hooded goons are. Also, I thought his garb for the day very Peronist. Given the increasingly populist tone of his blog posts over at chikarapro.com, the descamisado look works well. ¡RUUUUDOOOOO!


I also met my 2nd-favorite rudo, Chuck Taylor, and bought one of his shirts (which is sure to get over with the LOST crowd). I mentioned to the Kentucky Gentleman that I was a big fan of his training video and tried to incorporate the regimen as often as possible. He laughed and mentioned that not only did it serve to carve him out of wood, but he'd gotten college credit for making it:





As I hope this post has clearly demonstrated by now, the stars of CHIKARA are very friendly, approachable, and all-around cool.


I won't go into great detail on the action itself, but it was just amazing fun from start to finish. We got to sit really close, and along the entrance "ramp", so I got a few good high fives. At the very first match, I tried to take one picture, it came out crappy, and I decided it was stupid to waste a great seat like that by trying to take pictures the whole time instead of yelling and high fiving--no sense in being too busy capturing memories to be able to create any.

CHIKARA and their official DVD creators/distributors Smart Mark Video, to their unending credit, also carried out the Herculean task of getting the DVD of Chikarasaurus Rex available the VERY NEXT DAY. Mine's already been shipped.

Another post soon on the dietary aspect of Project UMB. For the wardrobe aspect, the mask is acquired. Next up: the robe.

No comments:

Post a Comment